LIVE CASEIN and GLUTEN FREE
If gluten free was not challenging enough - you also have to eliminate all food items containing casein. I feel for you because I am also have a dairy allergy. Hope this helps you find some family favorites for your GFCF diet.
DAIRY FREE SUBSTITUES:
By experimenting with our recipes, we have found that many can be converted to also be casein free.
Here are some easy conversions:
- Butter: Earth Balance – Non-dairy spread. Tastes, spreads and bakes like real butter. Or you can use Organic Shortening .
- Buttermilk: GF Almond, Soy or Rice milk mixed with 1 T lemon juice.
- Chocolate Chips: Enjoy Life Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips or Tropical Source Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips.
- Cream Cheese: There are non-dairy versions available at natural food markets. Make sure and check that they are gluten free as well. Go Dairy Free has a list of substitutes.
- Cow’s milk:
- GF Almond Milk – this is our first choice because of the consistency of it. It is thicker than the soy or rice milk. Use the vanilla flavored for your coffee or baked goods. Use Original for everything else.
- GF Soy or Rice Milk - as it is thinner than cow’s milk, start with a little less than the recipe calls for.
- Dry Milk Powder: GF non-dairy milk powder such as Dari-Free Non-Dairy Milk Alternative-Original: From Vance's.
- Sour Cream: There are non-dairy versions available at natural food markets. Make sure and check that they are gluten free as well. Go Dairy Free has a list of substitutes.
- Yogurt: -Soy or Rice yogurt - Whole Soy & Co is GF.
DAIRY FREE "CHEESE" SUSBSTITUTE:
The following is our recipe for a dairy free cheese substitute. This is a savory cheese that works great in lasagna, calzones and pizzas. It is not a substitute for baked sweet treats.
- 2 - 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 pound medium to firm tofu
- 3 T good olive oil
- 2 - 3 T ume plum vinegar
- 4 T nutritional yeast
- 1/4 t kosher salt
- additional optional spices such as rosemary or thyme
Press the water out of the tofu by holding it between two paper towels and pressing it out.
Add all of the ingredients to a food processor except the optional spices. Start with 2 T of the ume plum vinegar and then add more as you desire. Process until smooth and creamy. Taste and add more salt if needed. Add optional herbs and pulse until combined.
Yields about 2 cups.
SOME CASEIN FREE TRICKS AND TRADES:
In addition to the above substations, we have replaced some of our favorite dairy items with the following:
- Best Foods Mayonnaise: Yes, mayonnaise can be a great substitute for dairy. When making tacos, I mix it with Amy's Salsa for the taco topping. (My entire family does this now, even the ones that do not have a dairy allergy). I use it in the same way when we go out to dinner.
- Casein Free Ranch Salad Dressing on the Recipe page is also a great multi-use topping: In addition to salads, I put it on tacos. Or make it a little thicker for a great dip.
- Olive Oil: Another great dairy stand-in. Pour it on your baked potato. Pour some on a plate and add garlic salt and pepper and dip your gluten free/casein free bread sticks in it. Top a pizza with olive oil, red peppers and some tomatoes. Pour over your favorite buttered noodles and add garlic salt.
- Powdered Sugar Frosting: So sweet it makes any cake, cookie or graham cracker taste great.
- Additionally, 90 percent of the Recipes on this web site are casein free or can easily be made casein free.
FAVORITE GLUTEN FREE AND DAIRY FREE PRODUCTS:
Ingredients do change so ALWAYS double check ingredients!!
Bread, Bagels, tortillas etc.
- Kinnikinnick White Sandwich Bread Our favorite ready made bread. We use it for everything from my daughter's daily sandwich in her lunch box to Sunday morning french toast. Store in the freezer, microwave two pieces for 30 second, then toast. Made by Kinnikinnick. For my complete Kinnikinnick shopping list go to My Kinnikinnick Shopping List.
- Brown Rice Tortillas made by Food for Life These whole grain brown rice tortillas are so wonderful. They make excellent quesdillas. You can also bake them for a few minutes and use them like pita chips for dips. Available at Whole Foods.
- Natures Pantry Honey'd Corn Flakes
- Lifestream Buckwheat Wildberry Waffles In the freezer section. We eat these more like bread than like waffles. Toast then smear with a peanut butter or top with jam. Of course, they are great with syrup as well.
- Pocono Cream of Buckwheat Top with a little sugar and cinnamon. Make a extra batch to refrigerate for the next morning then simple re warm in the microwave.
- Kinnikinnick Maple Dipped Donuts For special treats, or great to throw in the suit case when traveling. If a microwave is handy, we like to warm them up. Very good and more filling than traditional donuts Made by Kinnikinnick. For my complete Kinnikinnick shopping list go to My Kinnikinnick Shopping List
- Kinnikinnick Chocolate Chip Donuts For special treats, or great to throw in the suit case when traveling. Made by Kinnikinnick. For my complete Kinnikinnick shopping list go to My Kinnikinnick Shopping List.
- Black Forest Gummy Bears, Glow-Worms and Cherry's by Ferrara Candy Company. These are a favorite.
- Candy Tree Organic Vines This great gluten free licorice is such a special treat and a favorite snack. Click on the image below to order from Amazon.
Amazon has a great gluten free section. We usually also qualify for free shipping. Everything is by the case so only order something you are sure you like. But once you figure out your favorites, this is a great way to shop. My Amazon.com Gluten Free Shopping List.
- Ener G Gourmet Crackers These are pretty similar to saltines.
- Glutino Gluten Free Crackers These are probably our favorite crackers. They taste great! But buyer beware, a lot of times we find that 1/3 of box has broken cracker crumbs in it. Click on image below to order from Amazon or order from
- Alexia Waffle Fries
- Ian's Chicken Nuggets Free of gluten, casein, eggs, nuts and soy. Great for a quick lunch or date night out for the parents.
- Amy's We love Amy's for making so many great gluten free foods. These are great for sleepovers or when Mom just needs a break. I was pleasantly surprised by how good the Baked Ziti Bowl tastes. My kids who in general do not like spinach, love the Spinach Pizza. It is a real treat for those on a casein and gluten free diet.
Gluten Free Mixes
- Lundberg Rice Express Perfect for a quick lunch. Just microwave for 60 seconds and eat.
- Thai Kitchen Instant Rice Noodle Soup Just add water and microwave for 3 minutes. We only use about 1/3 of the included spices. Serve with San J Organic Tamari Wheat Free Soy Sauce.
Pasta and Rice
- Bi-Aglut Pasta is our absolute favorite pasta. Every kid I have served this to has loved it (celiac and non-celiac a like). The only source we have found for it so far is mail order. My Gluten Free Pantry Shopping List
- Bionaturae Gluten Free Pasta Our emergency backup pasta when I have forgotten to order more. Not as good as bi-aglut, but easier to find at the grocery store.
- Quinoa Ancient Harvest Pasta Great as well and has the added benefit of being a high quality protein grain.
- Chebe Pizza Mix Takes a little elbow grease to make, but is worth the effort. We will have a pizza crust making day where we make several batches of crust and keep them in the freezer. Just leave out the parmesan cheese to make it dairy free. Made by Chebe.
- Kinnikinnick Pizza Shells Ready made pizza shells but these have the extra benefit of being casein free. They also come in a smaller size that is perfect to take to sleep overs For my complete Kinnikinnick shopping list go to My Kinnikinnick Shopping List. Make with Contadina Pizza Squeeze, Cheese and Hormel Canadian Style Bacon or Pepperoni.
- Amy's Frozen Spinach Pizza
- Amy's Organic Salsa A regular snack for us. Serve with Tostitos.
- Cracker Jacks
- Ener-g Pretzels
- Jo-Sef - Graham Crackers Yes, graham crackers that actually taste like graham crackers. These disappear in a hurry at our house. My Gluten Free Pantry Shopping List
- Potato Chips: We love Frito Lays for the list of gluten free items they provide on their web site. Frito Lay Gluten Free List If the link does not work, search for "Frito Lay Gluten Free list."
- Purfit Nutrition Bar, Almond Crunch These are my favorite bars. They are high in protein, travel well and taste great. You can order them on their own web site at Purefit.com I add them to my Amazon.com order. My Amazon.com Gluten Free Shopping List
- Larabar Apple Pie These are not necessarily a favorite. But good before soccer practice and in the car.
- Whole Soy & Co soy yogurt.
This and That
WHERE TO SHOP:
Shopping for gluten and casein free food has gotten much easier. Everyday local grocery and health food stores carry more and more gluten and casein free items. However, we still have some favorites that we order over the web.
- Amazon.com is a great resource for gluten free items. They come in bulk, usually six to an order, so it is best to order items you know you like. We tend to go through food pretty rapidly and I like to keep extra stashes of food on hand in case of an emergency (such as Mom gets sick), so I like ordering the bulk items. As an extra bonus, you can usually receive free shipping.Go to My Amazon.com Shopping List
Back to Top