Click the following links for:
Gluten Free Travel to:
Before you go, call or email the restaurants to see what they offer, when they are open, and make reservations if necessary. I cannot guarantee the safety of any restaurants and/or the food they serve. It is always up to you to tell them of your special diet and determine if the food they serve is safe for your circumstances.
Email me with your dining experiences.
Books to read before you go:
Paris Gluten Free
With a dining card and friendly "bon jour" to the waiter, you can eat gluten free at almost any nicer restaurant in Paris. Don't try to grab a gluten free baguette at the local corner bistro but Paris has so much wonderful food cooked naturally that you can eat very well here. And there is always macaroons for dessert.
Paris Restaurants Serving Gluten Free Food:
For a quick lunch, omelet’s and pomme frites (french fries) are good options and easy to find almost anywhere. They do not fry a lot of food so GF frites were pretty easy to find.
We did not eat at the all of the following, but I did extensive research before we traveled and came up with this list of options. I noted the ones we tried ourselves in the comments. You will not find gluten free pasta or bread, but you will find wonderfully delicious naturally gluten free food cooked to perfection.
- Aux Ducs de Bourgogne 30 Rue Bourgogne 75007 01 45 51 32 48 Gluten free galettes made with buckwheat flour.
- Brasserie Balzar 49 rue Ecoles; 01 43 54 13 67 Wonderful food and atmosphere. More formal attire but a great place to dine in the Latin Quarter or for brunch after services at Notre Dome.
- Breizh Café 109, rue Vieille du Temple 75003; 01 42 72 13 77 Reported to have gluten free pancakes!
- Cojean Check website for locations. Good place for soup or salad. One conveniently located behind the Louvre but remember the Louvre is huge so it can be a long walk.
- Exki 82 Blvd Montparnasse 75014 Carry food that is clearly labeled gluten free. Perfect for a picnic on the Jardin.
- Fée Nature 69 rue d'Argout 75002 33 1 42 21 44 36 Vegetarian restaurant with daily gluten free options.
Gallopin 40 Rue Notre Dame des Victoires 75002; 01 42 36 45 38
A charmingly French brasserie next to the Paris stock exchange. Beautiful atmosphere and wonderful food. I had a beautiful filet and the gluten free teen had the vegetarian option.
- Helmut Newcake36 Rue Bichat 75010 Gluten free bakery and lunch with tarts, eclairs, cream puffs. Making it a little easier to walk past all of those baguette stands.
- Jardin des Voluptes 10 rue de l’Echiquier
75010 : 01 48 24 38 68 Recommended by the gluten free grocer at Biospare. Lonely Planet calls it "a cosy teahouse attached to a bona fide qigong (ch’i kung) centre, this health-oriented place would have no trouble fitting in in California. What’s surprising is how popular it is with Cartesian-esque Parisians (particularly local families), attracted by both the quality of the organic ingredients and the original cooking."
- LadureeCheck website for locations. There are several locations including a large Laduree on the Champs Elysses. Our favorite is the smaller restaurant on 16 rue Royale - 75008 Paris. We ate here several times while in Paris and loved it. We had salads, omelets and frites for our meals and macaroons for dessert. However, a recent reviewer said they had terrible service and the only gluten free item, other than macaroons, was literally raw salmon. So go for the Macaroons which are wonderful but don't count on a meal.
As to the Macaroons: I received a letter from them stating that "we do not use flour in our macaroons; sometimes you can find ingredients such as corn starch in them. We don’t use any raw material containing gluten or peanut. However, as a precautionary measure, some of our providers specify on the ingredient technical delivery notice that the ingredient can contain traces of nuts, milk proteins, eggs proteins, gluten and peanuts. This precaution is due to the fact that some ingredient containing gluten or peanuts are used in the same production unit. Therefore, risks of contamination from one ingredient to the other are possible and should be considered, even if in this case it is a matter of traces." We ate them abundantly without any problem.
- MACÉO Restaurant
15 rue des Petits Champs
75001 Simply inform the staff when ordering. Macéo offers a wider range of gluten free options & has an excellent 'Green Menu' with a choice of some of the best vegetarian food in Paris."
- Noglu Restaurant et Epicerie sans gluten16 passage des Panoramas 75002; 01 40 26 41 24 Entirely gluten free restaurant featuring classic french cuisine complete with gluten free dessert. Reservations recommended.
- Pho'hung 131 Avenue De Choisy 75013 Friendly staff and affordable. Able to do rice and shrimp gluten free with good reviews.
- Pierre au Palais Royal 10 Rue de Richelieu; 01 42 96 09 17 A more modern restaurant close to the Louvre. Another wonderful meal. We recommend the catch of the day.
- The Reminet 3 rue des Grands-degrees, 5th; 01.44.07.04.24 Willing to
tailor just about anything on the menu to be gluten-free. Close to Notre Dome. The meals range from Burgundy snails to deluxe comfort food like steak.
- Saveurs Veget' Halles 41 rue des Bourdonnais
75001; 01 40 41 93 95 Vegetarian with gluten free items marked on the menu.
- Willis Wine Bar13 Rue des Petits Champs 75001 They can easily accommodate the gluten free diet if you just inform the server. English speaking staff and a long polished Oak Bar, displaying over 250 different wines.
- Pierre Herme Check website for various locations. Wonderful chocolate and macaroons. I emailed them before we traveled and they have a few options that do not contain gluten:
Ispahan: A subtle combination of sweet rose cream flavored with litchi,whose taste extends those of rose and raspberry while establishing a contrast with its acidity and power. All of this goodness is contained in a tender, crisp macaroon shell.
Origine: Tender chocolate cake, light ganache made with Pure Origin Porcelana chocolate from Venezuela
Plénitude: Chocolate macaroon, dark chocolate chips with pure sea salt, bitter chocolate mousse, bitter chocolate ganache, crunchy caramel
Gluten Free Grocery Store:
57, rue Saint Maur 75011; 01 48 06 08 81 Reported to have a good selection "végétarienne & sans gluten." Did not personally visit the store.
A Picnic on Jardin des Tuileries:
One of our favorite dinners was a picnic at the Jardin des Tuileries. These are the wonderful gardens that reach from the Louvre up towards the Place de la Concorde. The Hotel packed us a nice salad that we complimented with our wonderful macaroons and some gourmet cheese. We relaxed with the rest of Paris as the sunset and the Eifel Tower came to life. What a moment!
Where to Stay:
Consult Gluten Free Hotels Guide for a list of hotels in Paris that can cater to your gluten free diet. The first time we traveled to Paris we stayed at the Hotel du Louvre which was absolutely wonderful. Great location as we loved being near the Jardin des Tuileries and very charming rooms with gold trim and period decor.
Looking for a place with a kitchen to prepare your own food, then I highly recommend Paris Perfect Apartments. We have rented apartments through them twice with great success. Within blocks of the Eifel tour and so nice to have a kitchen to make coffee in the morning and for those nights when you have walked too many miles to go out to dinner!
French Gluten Free Restaurant Card:
Click on this link for a French Gluten Free Dining Card:
Je souffre d'une maladie qui s'appelle la maladie cœliaque et je dois suivre un régime absolument sans gluten.
Je suis susceptible de devenir gravement malade si je mange des aliments qui contiennent des farines ou des grains de blé, de siegle, d'orge ou d'avoine.
Cette nourriture contient-elle de la farine ou des grains de blé, de siegle, d'orge ou d'avoine? Si vous avez le moindre doute sur ce qu'il y a dans cette nourriture, dites-le-moi s'il vous plaît.
Je peux manger de la nourriture qui contient du riz, du mais, des pommes de terre, des légumes et fruits de toutes sortes, des œufs, du fromage, du lait, de la viande et du poisson, pourvu qu'ils n'aient pas été cuits avec de la farine de blé, de la pâte à frire, de la chapelure, ou une sauce contenant les aliments qui me sont interdits.
Je vous remercie de votre aide.
I have an illness called Celiac Disease and have to follow a strict gluten free diet.
I may therefore become very ill if I eat food containing flours or grains of wheat, rye, barley and oats.
Does this food contain flour or grains of wheat, rye, barley or oats? If you are at all uncertain about what the food contains, please tell me.
I can eat food containing rice, maize, potatoes, all kinds of vegetables and fruit, eggs, cheese, milk, meat and fish - as long as they are not cooked in wheat flour, batter, breadcrumbs or sauce.
Thank you for your help.