Vegetarian Nacho Pie
TIME: 60 minutes
- 3 cups GF chicken broth
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- ½ cup onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup GF flour
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- 1 can (15 oz.) black beans, drained, rinsed
- 1 bag (12 oz.) frozen corn, thawed
- 4 cups GF tortilla chips
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend (4 oz.)
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a saucepan, heat broth over medium-high heat.
- In a deep skillet, melt butter and 2 tablespoons of the warm broth over medium-high heat.
- Add carrots, onion, garlic, seasoning, pepper and salt. Cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until carrots are tender.
- Gradually whisk in flour. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Stir in whipping cream and remaining warm broth.
- Heat to boiling. Add beans and corn.
- Reduce heat and simmer uncovered 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened.
- Spoon into a greased, 2 quart baking dish.
- Top with crushed tortilla chips and sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake uncovered 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown.
Adapted from Nacho Pot Pie recipe on Betty Crocker website.