SERVES: 5 - 6 Calzones
TIME: 1 hour and 20 minutes
- 1 ½ cup brown rice flour
- ½ cup millet flour
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 3/4 cup tapioca starch
- ¼ cup dry milk powder (for dairy free use Vance's DariFree)
- 2 teaspoons xanthan gum
- 2 Tablespoons GF flaxseed meal
- 1 pack GF active yeast
- 2 teaspoons salt, plus additional sea salt for sprinkling on top
- 1 1/2 cups warm water (110 degrees F)
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil (plus additional olive oil for sprinkling on top)
Your choice of fillings.
1. Whisk together the brown rice flour, millet flour, cornstarch, tapioca starch, dry milk powder, xanthan gum, GF flaxseed meal, yeast and salt until they become one consistent flour-like texture.
2. Add to the bowl of your mixer.
3. Add the wet ingredients.
4. Mix until a firm dough ball is formed. This will not take too long.
5. If the dough is not holding together, add more olive oil as needed.
6. Next roll out the dough on a surface lightly floured with cornstarch until it is about 1/8 inch thick. Add more olive oil if too dry. Be careful with the starch because the dough will not stick together if you get too much of it on the dough. Cover with saran wrap that has been sprayed with oil and let rest for 30 minutes. Even though this recipe has yeast in it, the idea is not for the dough to rise much. The yeast is just added for flavor.
7. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
8. Cut out the calzones – the easiest way to do this is with a medium round mixing bowl. Simply use it like a cookie cutter. Move to a cookie sheet.
9. Fill the lower third of the circle with your choice of fillings. Some favorites:
- Pizza or pasta sauce,
- Cheese - cheddar, mozzarella, and goat cheese or your favorite non-dairy cheese alternative,
- Olives, onions, red pepper, mushrooms,
- Pepperoni, sausage, Canadian bacon,
- Salt, fresh basil, parsley.
10. Fold the calzone in half bringing the exposed edges together. Press to seal.
11. Brush with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt.
12. Bake for 20 – 25 minutes at 400 degrees F.
Let cool - the insides will be hot.