Yields 8 Large Waffles
TIME: 45 minutes
This recipe yields 8 Large Belgian Waffles, which is enough to feed your family and to throw a few in the freezer for breakfast. My philosophy is that if I am going to spend time cooking something, I would like to yield enough food for a meal and for leftovers. If it is too much for you, you can cut the ingredients in half.
- 8 eggs at room temperature, separated
- 2 cups milk, warmed (for dairy free use almond or coconut milk)
- 8 tablespoons (1/2 cup) butter, melted (for diary free use Earth Balance)
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup millet flour
- 1/2 cup potato starch
- 1/4 cup ground flax meal
- 4 Tablespoons sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Optional - 1 cup blueberries or chocolate chips
- Bring the eggs to room temperature by putting them in a bowl of warm water for a few minutes.
- Preheat the waffle maker and separate the eggs.
- Mix the egg yolks, milk, butter, lemon juice and vanilla in a large bowl until combined.
- Whisk together the brown rice flour, millet flour, potato starch, flax meal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, xanthan gum and salt until it becomes one unified texture.
- Stir the flour mixture into the egg yolk mixture.
- Beat the egg whites with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form, about 2 minutes.
- Using a rubber spatula, gently fold one half of the egg whites into the batter. Fold in the other half. Be careful not to over mix.
- Gently fold in optional ingredients such as blueberries or chocolate chips.
- Coat the waffle iron with non-stick cooking spray and pour enough batter in iron to just cover waffle grid.
- Cook according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
Serve sprinkled with powdered sugar and maple syrup.
Store any extra waffles in individual sandwich bags in the freezer until ready to eat. Rewarm in a toaster or a microwave.
I make these waffles with this awesome Double Belgian-Waffle Maker.
One of the best gifts ever.