Leave a Review
Dairy Free Macaroni and Cheese
TIME: 1 hour
- 2 cups GF pasta (see note below on GF pasta)
- 3 Tablespoons dairy free butter replacement (we use Earth Balance)
- 2 Tablespoons Gluten Free Flour (any GF flour blend will work – I have even made it with GF Pancake mix)
- 1 cup dairy free milk replacement (any non-dairy GF milk replacement will work but I prefer almond milk)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon dry ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash of pepper
- 1 cup Vegan Cheddar Style Cheese*
- A handful of crunched up GF potato chips (optional
Vegan Cheese Option: Daiya was the first GF non-dairy cheese replacement that we used and it works really well in this recipe. Recently, I have been cooking with Go Veggie Vegan Cheese Shreds and I am starting to like it more than Daiya. Sometimes the Daiya cheese melts into a big glob and I have not had that experience yet with the Go Veggie shreds. They also have a very nice flavor. If you use the Go Veggie Shreds, use the Mexican Flavored Shreds and eliminate the ground mustard and garlic salt that is called for in the recipe.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and grease a 1-½ quart casserole dish.
- Cook the GF pasta in salted water according to package directions until almost done but still hard.
- In a saucepan, melt the dairy free butter replacement (Earth Balance). On medium heat, blend in GF flour.
- Stirring constantly, slowly add 1-cup dairy free milk replacement and stir well until it becomes a smoother texture. Add the onion, dry ground mustard, garlic salt, salt, pepper and lastly the Daiya Vegan Cheese.
- Cook and stir until the cheese is mostly melted. It does not have to be completely melted, as this will occur when baking the macaroni and cheese.
- Mix with the cooked pasta and turn into the casserole dish. Top with crunched up chips.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 35 to 40 minutes.