Angel Food Cake
YIELDS: 1 cake
TIME: 1 hour 30 minutes
- ½ cup gluten free tapioca flour
- ½ cup gluten free potato starch
- ½ teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1½ cups sifted bakers sugar
- 12 egg whites, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1½ teaspoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- Adjust an oven rack to the lower-middle position and heat oven to 325 degrees F. Have ready an ungreased large tube pan. If the pan bottom is not removable, line it with parchment paper.
- Whisk together the tapioca flour, potato starch and xanthan gum. Sift the flour.
- Whisk the flour and ¾ cup of the sifted sugar in a small bowl. Place the remaining ¾ cup sifted sugar in another small bowl next to the mixer.
- Beat the egg whites in the bowl of a stand mixer at low speed until just broken up and beginning to froth. Add the cream of tartar and salt and beat at medium speed until the whites form very soft, billowy mounds. With the mixer still at medium speed, beat in the remaining ¾ cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, until all the sugar is added and the whites are shiny and form soft peaks. Add the vanilla, lemon juice and almond extract and beat until just blended.
- Sift the flour-sugar mixture over the whites, about 3 tablespoons at a time, and gently fold in, using a large rubber spatula.
- Gently scrape the batter into the pan, smooth the top with the spatula, and give the pan a couple of raps on the counter to release any air bubbles.
- Bake until the cake is golden brown and the top springs back when pressed firmly, 50 to 60 minutes.
- If the cake pan has prongs around the rim for elevating the cake, invert the pan onto them. If the pan does not have prongs, invert the pan onto the neck of a bottle or funnel. Let the cake cool completely, 2 to 3 hours.
- To unmold, run a knife around the edges of the pan, being careful not to separate the golden crust from the cake. Slide the cake out of the pan and cut the same way around the removable bottom to release, or peel off the parchment paper, if using.
- Place the cake, bottom-side up, on a platter. Cut slices by sawing gently with a large, serrated knife.
Top with Whipped Cream and Strawberries or Frost for a decorated cake.