Apple On Top Dessert
TIME: 1 hour
- 4 cups apples peeled, cored and diced (McIntosh, Fuji or Red Delicious)
- 3 Tablespoons honey, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup quick cooking Certified Gluten Free oats
- 1 cup Gluten Free flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup GF almond butter
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and coat a 9×13 pan with cooking oil.
- In a large bowl combine apples, 1Tablespoon honey, cinnamon and nutmeg and set aside.
- In a separate bowl whisk together oats, GF flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a small bowl lightly beat the egg and then mix together with the almond butter, 1 Tablespoon olive oil, 2 Tablespoons honey and applesauce.
- Add egg mixture to flour mixture until a thick dough-like batter forms.
- Transfer batter to pan and press down evenly to make a crust at the bottom of the pan. This was made easier by placing a piece of parchment paper on top and then pressing it down.
- Pour apple mixture over the crust and spread evenly.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees F or until apples are soft but not brown.
- Let cool for a few minutes. Serve warm topped with some vanilla GF yogurt, ice cream or a dairy free ice cream alternative.