YIELDS 1 dozen brownies
TIME: 45 minutes
- 5 oz. semisweet or bittersweet chocolate (use Enjoy Life Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips for dairy free)
- 2 oz. unsweetened chocolate, chopped (use Sunspire Organic 100% Unsweetened Baking Bar)
- 8 Tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into quarters (use 6 Tablespoons Earth Balance and 2 Tablespoons Coconut Oil for dairy free)
- 3 Tablespoons cocoa powder
- 3 large eggs
- 1¼ cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup GF Flour
- If the GF flour does not contain xanthan gum, add 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum to the GF flour
1. Preheat the oven to 350° F and oil an 8-inch square baking dish.
2. You can prepare the warm chocolate mix in two ways. The traditional method would be in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of barely simmering water, melt the chocolate and butter (or butter alternative), stirring occasionally until smooth. Whisk in the cocoa powder until smooth. Set aside to cool.
The busy mom method is to add the two kinds of chocolate and butter (or butter alternative) in a microwave proof bowl and microwave 20 seconds, stir and microwave another 20 seconds. Repeat if the chocolate is still not melted. Then stir in the cocoa powder.
3. In a medium bowl, combine the eggs, sugar, vanilla and salt; whisk until combined, about 15 seconds. Stir in the warm chocolate mixture until incorporated.
4. Stir in the GF flour (and xanthan gum if needed) until just combined.
5. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and bounce it a couple of times on the counter to spread it evenly.
6. Bake for 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a small amount of sticky crumbs clinging to it.
Cool for a bit, but best served warm.