YIELDS: ONE BATCH
TIME: 50 minutes
by: Chef Janet K
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon instant coffee powder/granules
- 1/4 cup sorghum flour
- 3 Tablespoons millet flour
- 3 Tablespoons potato starch
- 1 Tablespoon tapioca starch
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2/3 cup prepared sweet potato puree or 1 medium-sized yam
- Pre-heat the oven to 350°
- Generously grease an 8″ square pan with butter.
- If you do not have a prepared sweet potato puree, rinse the yam. Microwave it on high for about 5-6 minutes turning it a couple of times for even cooking. Once it is cooked through, remove the skin and puree it in the food processor or with an electric mixer until smooth.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, melt the butter. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the cocoa powder. Set aside to cool slightly.
- In a small bowl, beat together the egg, vanilla extract and coffee until the coffee is dissolved
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flours, starches, baking powder and salt. Whisk in the sugar. Add the 2/3 cup potato and mix well. Add the egg mixture and mix well. Add the chocolate mixture and stir until it is completely incorporated.
- Spread the batter into the pan and smooth out the top. Bake for 20 minutes until the top is barely dry and a toothpick comes out with a few moist crumbs.
- Cool in the pan for at least 30 minutes.