Peanut Butter Blossoms
YIELDS: 20 Cookies
TIME: 60 minutes
- 20 HERSHEY'S KISSES Brand Milk Chocolates
- 1/2 cup shortening (I use Spectrum Organic Shortening)
- 3/4 cup GF creamy peanut butter
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 Tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup brown rice flour
- 1/4 cup potato starch
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 2 Tablespoons non-fat dry milk
- 2 teaspoons xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Additional granulated sugar
- Beat shortening and peanut butter in large bowl until well blended.
- Add 1/3 cup granulated sugar and brown sugar; beat until fluffy.
- Add egg, milk and vanilla; beat well.
- Whisk together the brown rice flour, potato starch, cornstarch, dry milk and xanthan gum until it becomes one consistent flour.
- Whisk in the baking soda and salt; gradually beat into peanut butter mixture.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least one hour.
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Roll in granulated sugar; place on ungreased cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake 8 to 9 minutes or until lightly browned.
- While cookies are baking, remove wrappers from chocolates.
- Immediately when the cookies come out of the oven, gently press a chocolate into center of each cookie; cookie will crack around edges.
- Remove from cookie sheet to wire rack.
- Cool completely.
- Makes about 20 cookies.