French Fried Onion Rings
TIME: 1 hour
- 1 large onion, sliced into rings
- 1 cup milk (enough to cover the soaking onions - use soy or almond for dairy free)
- 1 cup GF flour
- 1/2 cup GF Corn Chex, finely crushed (optional – you can use GF Flour but the Corn Chex makes a crunchier onion ring)
- 1 teaspoon GF garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- Oil for frying
- Add onion rings to the milk and soak for 10 minutes.
- Whisk together the GF flour, finely crushed Corn Chex (can be replaced with 1/2 cup GF Flour), garlic powder and salt in a large bowl.
- Add about 1 inch of oil to a deep pot (such as Le Creuset Enameled Cast-Iron 5-1/2-Quart Round French) and heat over medium-high heat.
- In batches, add a few onions to the flour mixture and toss until evenly coated.
- Carefully add a few onion rings at a time to the oil and fry until light golden in color – about 5 minutes. Do not overcook. Burned onion rings do not taste good.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and place on a paper towel to drain.
- Continue frying in batches.
This recipe was designed as a GF option for French's Original French Fried Onions to be used in Green Bean Casserole.