TIME: 30 minutes
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup corn syrup
- 3 Tablespoons butter (use Earth Balance for dairy free)
- 3 cups cashews
Heat oven to 200 degrees F.
Grease two large cookie sheets and place them in the oven to warm them.
- Mix baking soda, 1 teaspoon water, and vanilla in a small bowl.
- In a heavy saucepan, cook the sugar, 1 cup water and corn syrup over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the candy thermometer reaches 240 degrees F (about 25 minutes).
- Stir butter and cashews into the saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat stirring constantly until the thermometer reaches 300 degrees F (about 11 minutes). Watch to make sure it does not burn.
- Remove from heat and quickly stir in the baking soda mixture until light and foamy.
- Remove cookie sheets from the oven and pour half of the brittle on each cookie sheet and spread to ¼ inch thickness.
- Cool and then break into pieces.
Store in a covered container.