Ossa da Mordere Cookies
YIELDS: 12 large cookies
TIME: 1 hour
by: Jules Shepard
- 3 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups granulated cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest or dried lemon peel
- 1/2 teaspoon GF baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 3/4 cup gfJules Gluten Free Flour
- 1 1/2 cups chopped almonds, sliced and coarsely chopped
- Confectioner’s sugar
- Preheat oven to 350° F (static).
- Prepare 2 baking sheets by lining with parchment paper.
- Whip the egg whites until foamy, but not stiff. Add sugar, cinnamon, lemon zest, baking powder, nutmeg and cloves. Beat until integrated. Process almonds by chopping to a coarse texture. Add gfJules Gluten Free Flour and chopped almonds and integrate into the egg mixture.
- Scoop 1-2 tablespoons of dough into your hands and form into small 1/2 inch wide, 3 inch long finger-shaped sticks. Roll in confectioner’s sugar and press your fingertip into the end of each, forming a “U” shape for the ends of the bones. Lay onto prepared baking sheets, 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 20 minutes, and then transfer to a wire rack to cool. Sprinkle confectioner’s sugar over each bone cookie when cooling to make the cookies whiter — like bones.
- Once cooled, serve or seal in zip-top bags or rubber-sealed containers to keep crisp and fresh. Finished cookies should be crispy on the outside and chewy with a spicy crumb on the inside … delicious on their own, or dunked in coffee, like biscotti.