Baked Chicken Nuggets
TIME: 40 minutes
2 - 4 chicken breast
¼ cup canola or olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
- gluten free coating (see below)
Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
1. Take two to four chicken breast, put them in a gallon ziplock bag and pound them until they are thin strips. Cut into one inch strips. Put them in a bowl and pour about ¼ cup olive oil over the top and 1-2 teaspoons of salt and stir to coat all of the chicken pieces.
2. Dredge them through a GF coating. You can use almost anything that you have in the kitchen. Premade breadcrumbs and coatings work nice but so do ground up potato chips. Use about ½ cup of prepared topping for each breast of chicken. Some choices:
- Make a coating by combining 1/2 cup of GF Flour (really any kind will work) per chicken breast with 1 teaspoon of salt, some pepper and 1 teaspoon of garlic salt. For a southwest flavored nugget use chili powder and cayenne pepper. Want to serve it with pasta and red sauce, use some oregano and thyme.
- Buy a premade coating such as Hodgson Mill Seasoned Coating Mix. I actually really like the flavors in this coating. Reminds me of the fried chicken my grandma used to make.
- Grind up GF chips in a food processor such as Food Should Taste Good Sweet Potato Chips, GF Tostitos, or try Lays BBQ Stax for a BBQ tasting chicken nugget. If you have some GF flour, I think it helps to add a couple of tablespoons of GF flour to the ground up chips. Gives it a little better texture but is not necessary.
- Going for a healthier nugget, tried quinoa flakes.
3. Place coated chicken pieces on an oiled cookie sheet and bake at 450 degrees F for 15 - 20 minutes depending on how thick you cut the chicken strips. Halfway through the cooking time, turn the nuggets over and drizzle a little extra olive oil over any dry spots in the coating. The chicken should be cooked through and have a nice crispy crust.