Baked Polenta with Mushrooms, Bacon and Swiss Chard
TIME: 3 hours or overnight
- 3 slices bacon
- 1 medium yellow onion, cut in half and thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup cremini mushrooms, sliced (or mushroom of your choice)
- 1 teaspoon ground dried porcini mushrooms
- 2 cups Swiss chard, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1¾ cup GF chicken broth
- ½ cup medium ground GF cornmeal
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 2 Tablespoons Parmesan cheese
- In a medium skillet, fry the bacon until crispy and transfer to a dish, leaving the bacon fat in the skillet.
- Add the onions to the skillet and cook until tender and translucent, about 5-7 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another minute. Transfer to a bowl, reserving ⅓ of them in a separate bowl.
- Add the cremini mushrooms and cook until tender, adding some extra virgin olive oil if too dry, about 5 minutes.
- Add the ground porcini and cook for another minute.
- Add the Swiss chard and cook for another 3 minutes until the leaves are wilted and tender, about 3-4 minutes.
- Return the onions and bacon to the skillet, and stir to combine. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- In a medium saucepan, bring the chicken broth to a boil. Add the cornmeal in a gradual stream, whisking constantly to prevent lumps. Reduce the heat to low and continue to cook, whisking frequently, for about 20 minutes until the mixture pulls away from the sides of the pan into a firm, sticky mass. Add the reserved onions and 1 tablespoon of butter. Stir to combine.
- Lightly grease an 8 X 8 inch baking dish and firmly press the polenta into the bottom of it. Refrigerate for at least an hour or up to 2 days. (*See Note)
- Spread the bacon/vegetable mixture over the polenta, sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese and top with the mozzarella cheese.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees F for 35-40 minutes until the cheese is melted and beginning to brown. Let sit for 5 minutes and serve immediately.
For a firmer polenta crust, bake it in a preheated oven at 400 degrees F for 15-20 minutes until slightly crispy. Then proceed with the toppings as instructed.