Chicken Fried Steak
SERVES: 4 - 6
TIME: 50 minutes
Chicken Fried Steak:
- 2 pounds cube steak (about 4 steaks)
- Ground black pepper
- Kosher salt
- 3/4 cup GF white rice flour
- 1/2 cup GF corn starch
- 1/3 cup GF tapioca starch
- 3/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup high heat canola oil, more as needed
- 1/4 cup reserved grease
- McCormick Gluten-Free Brown Gravy Mix
- 2 cups whole milk (use unsweetened almond milk for dairy free)
For the Steak:
- Salt and Pepper both sides of the meat.
- Whisk together the white rice flour, corn starch, tapioca starch and spices. Place in a shallow dish (pie plates work well for this).
- Whisk the eggs and mix with the whole milk. Place in a separate shallow dish.
- Working with one piece of meat at a time, place it in the flour mixture and turn to coat.
- Next place the meat into the milk/egg mixture, turning to coat.
- Place it back in the flour and turn to coat.
- Place the breaded meat on the clean plate and repeat with the remaining meat.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Drop a piece of flour into the grease. If it sizzles it is hot enough. If it turns brown, it is too hot!
- Cook the meat, 2 pieces at a time, until the edges start to look golden brown and the steaks are cooked through, about 3 - 5 minutes each side.
- Remove the meat to a plate lined with a paper towel and cover with a sheet of foil. Repeat until all of the meat is cooked, adding more oil as needed.
To Make the Gravy:
- After all the meat is fried, pour off the grease, reserving ¼ cup. Without cleaning the skillet, return it to the stove over medium-low heat.
- Add the reserved grease back to the skillet and allow it to heat up.
- Sprinkle McCormick Gluten-Free Brown Gravy Mix evenly over the grease. Using a fork, quickly stir the mix into the grease.
- Pour in the milk, stirring constantly until warm.
Serve the steak and gravy with mashed potatoes.