Spaghetti & Meatballs
SERVES: Yields 14 meatballs
TIME: 1 hour 20 minutes
For the Meatballs
- ½ pound veal and ½ pound pork
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup GF bread crumbs (make your own by taking stale bread and processing in the food processor)
- 1 teaspoon parsley flakes or 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese (use Go Veggie Vegan Parmesan Cheese for dairy free)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 egg beaten
- ½ cup warm water
- Vegetable oil
- Olive oil
For the Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon good olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ cup red wine such as Chianti
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
- ½ teaspoon parsley flakes
- 1 ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ t teaspoon pepper
- 1 ½ pounds GF spaghetti
1. Mix the ground meats, bread crumbs, parsley, Parmesan, salt, pepper, nutmeg, egg and ½ cup warm water in a bowl.
2. With your hands, lightly form 2-inch meatballs. Yields 14 – 16 meatballs.
3. Pour equal amounts of vegetable and olive oil in a large skillet to ¼ inch depth. Heat the oil. Brown the meatballs on medium-low heat in batches. Carefully turn them to brown all sides. About 10 minutes for each batch.
4. Remove the meatballs to a plate and discard the oil, but do not clean the pan.
5. For the sauce, heat olive oil in the same pan. Add the onion and sauté over medium heat until translucent, 5 – 10 minutes.
6. Add the garlic and cook for one more minute.
7. Add the wine and cook on high heat, scraping up the brown bits in the pan, until almost all the liquid evaporates – about 3 minutes.
8. Stir in the tomatoes, parsley, salt and pepper.
9. Return the meatballs to the sauce, cover and simmer on low for about 30 minutes, until meatballs are cooked through.
10. Serve over cooked spaghetti with grated Parmesan cheese.