SERVES: 4 - 6
- 1/2 pound GF sausage
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups water
- 4 cups GF chicken broth
- 1 cup dried lentils, washed and sorted
- 2 carrots, diced
- 3 ribs celery, diced
- 2 small red potatoes, diced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley or 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 Tablespoon fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon oregano
1. In a large soup pot, crumble and brown the sausage in 1 Tablespoon olive oil. Remove and set aside on paper towels to drain.
2. Add 1 Tablespoon olive oil to the soup pot and sauté the onions and garlic until soft - about 3 minutes.
3. Add the the water and chicken broth to the pot.
5. Add all of the remaining ingredients except the reserved sausage - add the lentils, carrots, celery, potatoes, parsley, bay leaf, basil, cayenne pepper, salt, pepper and oregano.
6. Bring to a boil then cover and simmer on low for 1 hour.
7. Add the sausage.
8. Add more salt or pepper as desired.
9. Cook a few minutes until sausage is warm.