Leave a Review
SERVES: 4 - 6
TIME: 1 hour
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 large tomatoes chopped - if you do not have fresh tomatoes you can use 2 14.5 ounce cans of diced tomatoes
- 1 Tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons dried basil or 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 3 cups GF chicken broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup heavy cream (omit or use almond milk for dairy free)
1. Heat the olive oil in a large soup pot over medium low heat. Sauté the onions and carrots until tender, about 10 minutes.
2. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
3. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar, basil, chicken broth, salt and pepper and stir well.
4. Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes or until the tomatoes are very tender.
5. Process in a food processor to the desired consistency and return to the pot.
6. Add the cream, reheat as needed and serve. (omit cream or add a splash of almond milk for a dairy free soup)