Craving comfort food? I am.
Butternut Squash Pasta
Ingredients6-8 oz Gluten Free Spaghetti
1 Butternut Squash – peeled and cubed
1 Tbs Avocado Oil
¼ Cup Butter (can use a dairy-free alternative like Earth Balance)
½ to 1 clove minced garlic
½ tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp brown sugar
¼ Cup Sharp Cheddar Cheese (also can be left out for a dairy-free option, or added in later) salt and pepper to taste
1. Begin by boiling a large pot of water, it will eventually contain your butternut squash and pasta so make sure to use enough water.
2. Cut off the ends of the squash, cut it in half at the neck, peel the skin, and cut the squash into ½ inch cubes. If yours has lots of seeds, simply scrape them out and throw them away.
3. Add the spaghetti noodles and cubed butternut squash to the boiling water at the same time and cook until pasta is done. Test to see if your squash is a desired tenderness by poking it with a fork before removing from the boiling water.
4. While the pasta and squash is cooking, add the avocado oil and butter to a small saucepan and allow it to melt. Add in the minced garlic, nutmeg, cinnamon, and sugar and mix together for about two minutes. It will smell delicious.
5. Strain the spaghetti and squash and put it back into the large pot. Then pour the butter mixture on top and stir in the cheddar cheese, salt, and pepper.
6. Serve hot and eat up!
After some searching, I found a wonderful recipe for Butternut Squash Pasta that I adapted from KitchenSwagger.com to make gluten free.
This recipe can also easily be made dairy free as well by leaving out the cheese and using vegan butter. It is so flavorful and I am so thankful I have this meal as leftovers for the rest of the week!