Now that it’s officially fall in Seattle and the rainy season seems to be upon us, we thought you all would enjoy some fall-themed comfort food. This side dish can be considered a gratin as it is baked in the oven and develops a cheesy, browned top. The combination of flavors creates a bold and filling dish that is great on its own or served up alongside your favorite Thanksgiving entrees.
Cheesy Pumpkin Cauliflower Side
- 1 Head of Cauliflower (cut into small pieces)
- 2 Tbs Butter
- ½ White Onion (diced)
- 2 Tbs Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour
- 2 Tbs Olive Oil
- 1 C Milk
- 1 C Canned Pumpkin
- ½ tsp Pepper
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Paprika
- ½ tsp Nutmeg
- 2 C Shredded Swiss Cheese
- Optional: GF Breadcrumbs
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Cut the cauliflower into small pieces; you can leave a few larger ones for bigger bites if desired and set aside.
- Heat a large oven-safe skillet over medium heat. This will go in the oven, but you can transfer the contents to a standard casserole dish if you do not have an oven-safe skillet.
- Add the butter and allow it to melt. Add the diced onions and sauté for several minutes until they are softer and more transparent.
- Pour in the olive oil and add in the GF All-Purpose Flour. Continue sautéing for a few minutes until a paste forms.
- Stir in the milk, be sure to keep the heat low enough that no curdling occurs.
- Once the mixture is simmering, stir in the canned pumpkin, salt, pepper, paprika, and nutmeg.
- When the spices are combined, sprinkle in the swiss cheese slowly while stirring continuously. The mixture will appear thick, don’t worry! It smooths out into a thinner sauce in the oven.
- Add the cauliflower and stir until all pieces are coated in the mixture.
- Move the skillet to the oven or transfer the mixture to an oven-safe dish. You can sprinkle GF breadcrumbs on the top if you have them on hand.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes; if the top browns too quickly, cover with foil. Enjoy!
3 thoughts on “Cheesy Pumpkin Cauliflower Side”
This looks delicious! Leaving you with a follow 🙂
LikeLiked by 1 person
I love this, thank you. I’ll bet the caramelized edges are the best part.
It is yummy!