Fall is here and there is no denying it anymore. At first, I was bummed to be back at school with a busy schedule and rainy weather.
Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes
- 6 medium-sized russet potatoes
- 3 Tbs butter
- 3 Tbs gluten-free flour
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 2 ½ cups milk
- 1 cup Beecher’s Handmade Cheese (cubed)
- 1 cup sliced cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup finely chopped onion (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 350° and butter a 2-quart casserole.
2. Peel and thinly slice six potatoes.
3. In a saucepan, melt butter. On medium heat, blend in GF flour, garlic salt, and pepper.
4. Stirring constantly, slowly add 2 ½ cups milk (I have noticed that GF flour seems to blend better at a higher temperature, so I add the flour and milk at a temperature that is a little higher than I’d use for traditional wheat flour).
5. Cook and stir until thick and bubbly.
6. Add the onions (optional) and cheese. Stir until just melted.
7. Arrange the potatoes in three layers and pour approximately ⅓ of the cheese sauce onto each layer.
8. Cover with tin foil and bake for 30 minutes.
9. Remove foil and bake for another 60 minutes or until potatoes are tender and cheese is crispy. Let cool for several minutes and eat up!
But then I remembered how beautiful fall can be in Seattle. The leaves change colors, football season is in full swing, sweater weather is back and we occasionally get a beautiful, crisp sunny day.
Whether you are stuck in the where-did-summer-go mindset and in need of some comfort food, or just want a hot and easy meal for the family – these potatoes are for you. Eat up and welcome to fall!