Here is a primary go-to favorite that will leave your kitchen smelling heavenly and your tummies full and happy.
Basic Tomato Pasta Sauce
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme leaves or 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1/2 medium carrot, finely grated
- 2 28-ounce cans peeled whole tomatoes
- Whole basil leaves, for garnish
- Grated Parmesan (optional – omit for dairy-free)
1. In a 3-quart saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
2. Add the thyme and carrot, and cook 5 minutes more, until the carrot is soft.
3. Add the tomatoes and bring to a boil, stirring often. Lower the heat and simmer for 30 minutes until it thickens.
4. Season with salt and serve.
Serve with Gluten Free pasta and garnish with basil leaves and cheese.
Store for one week in the refrigerator or up to 6 months in the freezer.
We started our GF diet before eating GF was a trend; before the labeling law was enacted, before you could order a GF pizza, much less cupcakes, and french fries.
The silver lining is that it made us cook from scratch. In cooking from scratch, we learned to savor the flavor of real fresh food. My kids didn’t know what a box of fries from McDonald’s tasted like, but they knew that goodness was cooking on the stove when they smelled onions and garlic sauteing.
One thought on “Basic Tomato Pasta Sauce”
Love having a stock of fresh homemade pasta sauce!