Another favorite meal – it’s kind of like a lasagna in the deep dish. But easier to make. I hope you enjoy it.
Gluten Free Baked Ziti
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 pounds gluten-free Italian Sausage
- 1 28-ounce can of whole tomatoes, with the juice
- 2 14.5-ounce cans tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 12-ounce packages of gluten-free penne noodles, cooked until not quite Al Dente (I use bionaturae Organic Penne Rigate.)
- 15 ounces of whole milk ricotta cheese
- 1 1/2 pounds mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese, grated
- 1 Egg
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium-low heat. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes over medium-low heat. Add the garlic and cook for two more minutes.
- Add the Italian Sausage, increase the heat to medium and cook until it is no longer pink (8 to 10 minutes). Drain off any excess fat. Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, oregano, parsley, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper to taste. Simmer uncovered over medium-low heat for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Cook the gluten-free pasta until almost Al Dente.
- Drain the pasta and rinse under cold water to stop the cooking
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, combine the ricotta cheese, 2 cups of the grated Mozzarella cheese, ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese, and egg. Stir until just mixed.
- Ladle 1/3 of the tomato sauce into a 9 x 9-inch baking dish, spreading the sauce over the bottom of the dish. (I like to use the 9 x 9-inch baking dish to get a deeper casserole. It is okay to use a 9 x 12-inch dish, but your casserole will not stand up as tall).
- Next, add the layers as follows: Half the pasta (if it is sticking add some olive oil to loosen), Half the cheese mixture, One third the sauce, Rest of the pasta, Rest of the cheese mixture Rest of the sauce. Sprinkle with Mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until bubbling and the cheese is a golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let stand 5 minutes to cool before serving.