This recipe is another of our family’s favorite meals. In all honesty, I make it about twice a month. Everyone loves pizza!
This recipe is great because it makes enough for the entire family (and usually a friend or two), and it is easy to customize for individual taste by using different toppings.
It is a thicker crust pizza (depending on how long you let it rise). I bake it on my big 12 x 17-inch baking sheet and then slice it into squares.
Gluten Free Thick Crust Family-Sized Pizza
- 2 1/4 cups warm water (110 degrees F)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 pack (2 ½ teaspoons) GF yeast
- 2 ¼ cup brown rice flour
- 3/4 cup millet flour
- 1 ½ cup cornstarch (plus additional corn starch to prepare the baking dish)
- 1 cup tapioca starch
- 3/4 cup dry milk powder
- 3 teaspoons xanthan gum
- 3 Tablespoons GF flaxseed meal
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt (plus additional sea salt for sprinkling on top)
- 4 Tablespoons olive oil (plus extra olive oil for sprinkling on top)
Pizza Toppings: Including olive oil, marinara sauce, mozzarella, and Parmesan cheese, sliced tomatoes, pepperoni, or whatever else you like.
- Proof the Yeast:
- Fill a two-cup glass measuring cup with ¼ cup water and warm to 110 degrees F. Add 1 teaspoon sugar, sprinkle the yeast on top, and give it a quick stir. Let it sit for 5 to 10 minutes. If it is working correctly, you will get tannish foam on top of the liquid.
- In the bowl of your mixer, whisk together the brown rice flour, millet flour, cornstarch, tapioca starch, dry milk powder, xanthan gum, GF flaxseed meal and salt until they become one consistent flour-like texture.
- Add the remaining 2 cups warm water, olive oil, and yeast mixture and mix on low until combined.
- Press the dough into a 12 x 17-inch square rimmed baking sheet that has been lightly oiled and dusted with cornstarch (don’t skip this step or the pizza will stick to the pan). I have found it easiest to do this if you spray a spatula with some oil and then press the dough out with the spatula.
- Cover lightly with saran wrap that has been sprayed with oil and let rise in a warm place for 30 minutes. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and add desired toppings. We start with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Then add a thin layer of marinara or pizza sauce. Spread with mozzarella and Parmesan cheese and top with sliced tomatoes. Sprinkle with basil. For the meat lovers, I add sliced pepperoni to half of the pizza.
- Bake for 20 – 25 minutes at 400 degrees F.
- Slice and enjoy.
Click this link for my 12 x 17-inch baking sheet on Amazon.com.