It is the perfect time of the year for lemon pound cake. Serve with fresh berries from your garden or local farm co-op.
Making a superior gluten-free lemon pound cake (fine-crumbed, rich, moist, and buttery) is not easy. The classic recipe—with just flour, butter, sugar, and eggs—contains no leavener.
After several rounds of testing at the American Test Kitchen, they developed this recipe that swaps out one stick of butter for an equal amount of cream cheese. Unlike butter, which separates into water and fat in the oven, cream cheese—which is much more stable—doesn’t cause the greasiness problem that plagues all-butter gluten-free pound cakes.
To get the most lemon flavor, pulse the zest in the food processor with the sugar.
Source: Reprinted with permission from The How Can It Be Gluten Free Cookbook: Revolutionary Techniques. Groundbreaking Recipes. with recipes developed by the team at America’s Test Kitchen. This recipe uses King Arthur Flour, Gluten Free. See it on Amazon.com by clicking the links above.
Gluten Free Lemon Pound Cake
A perfect gluten free lemon pound cake.
- 1 ¼ cup King Arthur Flour Multipurpose Flour, Gluten Free
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 8 3⁄4 ounces (1 1⁄4 cups) granulated sugar
- 2 Tablespoons grated lemon zest plus 1 tablespoon juice (2 lemons)
- 4 large eggs
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 8 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted For the Glaze:
- 2 ounces (1⁄2 cup) confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- For the Cake: Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees—grease and flour 8 1⁄2 by 4 1⁄2-inch loaf pan. Whisk flour blend, baking powder, salt, and xanthan gum together in a bowl.
- Pulse sugar and zest together in the food processor until combined, about five pulses. Add lemon juice, eggs, cream cheese, and vanilla and process until combined, about 15 seconds. With processor running, add melted butter in a steady stream until combined, about 20 seconds. Transfer mixture to a large bowl. Add flour blend mixture and whisk until batter is thoroughly combined and smooth.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees and bake until cake is golden brown and toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 40 minutes, rotating pan halfway through baking. Let cake cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Run a knife around edge of cake to loosen. Remove cake from pan and let cool completely on a rack, about 2 hours.
- For the Glaze: Whisk sugar and lemon juice together in a bowl until smooth. Spread glaze over the cake, allowing some to drip down the sides. Let glaze set for at least 15 minutes before serving. (Cake can be wrapped in plastic wrap and stored at room temperature for up to 2 days.)
Variation: Lemon–Poppy Seed Pound Cake Add 1⁄3 cup poppy seeds to batter with flour blend mixture in step 2.
This recipe uses King Arthur Flour, Gluten Free. See it on Amazon.com by clicking the links above.