This recipe is my absolute favorite gluten and adaptable for a dairy-free treat. Enjoy!
Gluten-Free Flourless Chocolate Cake
- 8 large eggs, cold
- 1 pound bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped coarsely
- 16 tablespoons (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into 16 pieces (use Earth Balance for dairy-free)
- 1/4 cup strong coffee (optional)
- Confectioners’ sugar for dusting the cake and strawberries for decoration
1. Adjust the oven rack to the lower-middle position and preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Line the bottom of a Non-Stick 8-Inch Springform Pan with parchment paper and grease the sides of the pan. Wrap the outside of the container with two sheets of heavy-duty foil. Bring a kettle of water to a boil.
2. Beat eggs in the bowl of a standing mixer at high speed for 5 minutes or until the volume doubles to approximately 1 quart.
3. Heat the chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl at 50 percent power for 2 minutes. Stir and add the butter and coffee. Heat at 50 percent power, stirring every minute, until the chocolate and butter are melted and are smooth.
4. Using a large rubber spatula, fold the egg foam into the chocolate mixture working in batches. Fold a third of the egg foam into the chocolate mixture until only a few streaks of egg are visible. Then fold in half of the remaining foam. Then fold in the last of the foam, until the mixture is homogenous.
5. Set the prepared springform pan inside the roasting pan. Add the batter to the springform pan and smooth the surface with a rubber spatula. Pour in enough boiling water to come about halfway up the sides of the springform pan. Set the roasting pan on the lower-middle position of the oven rack. Bake 22 to 25 minutes, until the cake has risen slightly, the edges are just beginning to set, and a thin glazed crust (like a brownie) has formed on the surface. When finished, an instant-read thermometer inserted halfway into the center will read 140 degrees.
6. Remove the cake pan from the water bath and cool to room temperature on a wire rack. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
7. 30 minutes before serving, remove the sides of the pan, invert the cake onto a sheet of waxed paper and peel off the parchment paper.
Sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar and decorate with strawberries cut in quarters and lined around the outside of the cake.
Use a thin-bladed knife to cut, dipping the knife into a pitcher of hot water and wiping the blade before each cut.
Original Source of this Recipe is Baking Illustrated.
Follow this link for 8 Inch Non-stick Springform Pan with Removable Bottom to use for this recipe on Amazon.com.