This is a favorite cake; one you can stand in the kitchen and eat half of it right out of the pan and then need to debate whether you should go ahead and finish it.
It is so good that at one point, my Gluten-Free College student requested that I make two of them and frost them together with cream cheese frosting for her birthday cake.
Gluten Free Almond Cake
- 1 1/2 cups plus 1/3 cup blanched sliced almonds, toasted
- 4 ½ ounces (1/2 cup plus 1/3 cup) King Arthur Flour Multipurpose Flour, Gluten-Free
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- Four large eggs
- 7 ounces (1 cup) plus 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 Tablespoon plus ½ teaspoon grated lemon zest (2 lemons)
- One teaspoon almond extract
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted (use Earth Balance for dairy-free)
- 4 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 300 degrees. Grease and flour 9-inch round cake pan and line bottom with parchment paper. Pulse 1 ½ cups almonds, GF flour blend, salt, baking powder, and baking soda in the food processor until almonds are finely ground, 10 to 15 pulses: transfer to a bowl.
- Place eggs, 1 cup sugar, 1 Tablespoon zest, and almond extract in the now-empty food processor and process for 2 minutes. With processor running, add melted butter, followed by oil, in a steady stream, until incorporated. Add almond-flour mixture and pulse until thoroughly combined, 4 to 5 pulses.
- Scrape batter into prepared pan, smooth top, and sprinkle with remaining 1/3 cup almonds. Using fingers, combine remaining 2 Tablespoons sugar and remaining ½ teaspoon lemon zest into a bowl until fragrant, then sprinkle over the top.
- Bake until the center of cake is set, and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 55 to 65 minutes, rotating the pan after 40 minutes. Let cake cool in pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Run a knife around edge of cake to loosen. Remove cake from pan, discard parchment, and let cool completely on a rack, about 1½ hours. Serve.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we did!
Thank you to the Editors at America’s Test Kitchen for letting me share this delightful recipe for Gluten-Free Almond Cake from the The How Can It Be Gluten Free Cookbook Volume 2: New Whole-Grain Flour Blend, 75+ Dairy-Free Recipes
Click this Amazon link to order King Arthur Flour, Measure for Measure Flour, Gluten Free).