Some of us face the double challenge of being on a dairy or casein-free diet and a gluten-free diet, frequently called the GFCF diet.
Shortly after going gluten-free, I realized I was also intolerant to dairy. I had undetected Celiac Disease for so long that it ruined the lining of my intestine.
I have been dairy-free and gluten-free for 16 years. This is one of my favorite recipes.
Gluten and Dairy Free Quiche
- 1 cup of coconut milk
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons ume plum vinegar (an excellent add-in for dairy-free recipes as it adds a salty cheese-like quality to cooking.)**see note below the recipe
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon nutritional yeast (optional but strongly recommended as it adds a tremendous cheese-like flavor.)
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 – 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 8 to 9-inch gluten-free pie crust
- thinly sliced tomato for the top
- Optional add-ins – 2 – 3 cups chopped sauteed vegetables; crumbled and cooked GF sausage
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
1. With a fork, mix the coconut milk, eggs, vinegar, garlic, yeast, mustard powder, salt, and pepper. The powdery substances will be a little lumpy but mix as well as you can. They dissolve while baking.
2. Add the optional add-ins of sauteed vegetables or cooked and crumbled GF sausage to the unbaked gluten-free crust.
3. Add the egg mixture and top with green onions and thinly sliced tomato.
4. Bake for 45 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.